Are you using your smart phone or tablet in the late evening? Twilight may be a solution for you!
WARNING: Android O+ does no allow the app to cover your notifications any more..
CAUTION: Android TV installation got more complicated as Google did not implement the overlay permission screen, please see below:
Recent research suggests that exposure to blue light before sleep may distort your natural (circadian) rhythm and cause inability to fall asleep.
The cause is the photoreceptor in your eyes, called Melanopsin. This receptor is sensitive to a narrow band of blue light in the 460-480nm range which may suppress Melatonin production - a hormone responsible for your healthy sleep-wake cycles.
In experimental scientific studies it has been shown an average person reading on a tablet or smart phone for a couple of hours before bed time may find their sleep delayed by about an hour.
The Twilight app makes your device screen adapt to the time of the day. It filters the flux of blue light emitted by your phone or tablet after sunset and protects your eyes with a soft and pleasant red filter. The filter intensity is smoothly adjusted to the sun cycle based on your local sunset and sunrise times.
Get more from Twilight
1) Bed reading: Twilight is more pleasant on the eyes for night reading. Especially as it is able to lower the screen backlight far below the ability of the backligt controls on your screen
2) AMOLED screens: We have tested Twilight on an AMOLED screen for 2.5 years without any sign of depletion or over-burning. If properly configured Twilight causes less light emission (by enabling dimming) with more equal light distribution (dark areas of the screen such as the status bar get tinted). This may in fact increase your AMOLED screen life time.
Basics on circadian rhythm and the role of melatonin
- location - to find out your current sunset/surise times
- running apps - to stop Twilight in selected apps
- write settings - to set back-light
- network - access smartlight (Philips HUE) to shield you household light from blue
Automation (Tasker or other)
Related scientific research
Amplitude Reduction and Phase Shifts of Melatonin, Cortisol and Other Circadian Rhythms after a Gradual Advance of Sleep and Light Exposure in Humans Derk-Jan Dijk, & Co 2012
Exposure to Room Light before Bedtime Suppresses Melatonin Onset and Shortens Melatonin Duration in Humans Joshua J. Gooley, Kyle Chamberlain, Kurt A. Smith & Co, 2011
Effect of Light on Human Circadian Physiology Jeanne F. Duffy, Charles A. Czeisler 2009
Efficacy of a single sequence of intermittent bright light pulses for delaying circadian phase in humans Claude Gronfier, Kenneth P. Wright, & Co 2009
Intrinsic period and light intensity determine the phase relationship between melatonin and sleep in humans Kenneth P. Wright, Claude Gronfier & Co 2009
The Impact of Sleep Timing and Bright Light Exposure on Attentional Impairment during Night Work Nayantara Santhi & Co 2008
Short-Wavelength Light Sensitivity of Circadian, Pupillary, and Visual Awareness in Humans Lacking an Outer Retina Farhan H. Zaidi & Co, 2007
High sensitivity of the human circadian melatonin rhythm to resetting by short wavelength light. Lockley SW & Co. 2003
Sensitivity of the human circadian pacemaker to nocturnal light: Jamie M Zeitzer, Derk-Jan Dijk & Co 2000
For a desktop try RedShift (Linux) or on Windows there are also blue light flux filtering apps.
- Filtering notification shades, status bar and lock screen when enabling Twilight accessibility service
- Android TV works again with accessibility service
-Works on Wear watches without the Draw over other apps permission screen though Accessibility service
Uploaded:December 27, 2019 at 2:50PM UTC
File size:5.54 MB
Uploaded:November 6, 2019 at 12:41PM UTC
File size:5.39 MB
Uploaded:October 6, 2019 at 10:52PM UTC
File size:5.26 MB
Uploaded:August 23, 2019 at 12:26PM UTC
File size:5.24 MB
Uploaded:August 14, 2019 at 1:15PM UTC
File size:5.28 MB
Uploaded:June 24, 2019 at 10:04PM UTC
File size:5.27 MB
Uploaded:May 7, 2019 at 2:10PM UTC
File size:5.27 MB
Uploaded:April 26, 2019 at 12:06PM UTC
File size:5.47 MB
Uploaded:December 4, 2018 at 2:49PM UTC
File size:5.32 MB
Uploaded:November 6, 2018 at 6:05PM UTC
File size:5.32 MB