Changes between 1.5.90 and 1.6.0:
* Streamline libVLCjni.so symbols
* Port to Android-M
* Fix HTTP seek regression from 1.5.90
* Speed up the video/audio lists interface
* Speed up the thumbnailing process and remove glitches
* Correctly blacklist the system notifications and ringtones
* Fix last playlist and random restoration
* Fix grouping of videos
* Translations update
VLC media player is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player that plays most multimedia files as well as discs, devices, and network streaming protocols.
This is the port of VLC media player to the Android™ platform. VLC for Android can play most video and audio files, as well as network streams and DVD ISOs, like the desktop version of VLC.
VLC for Android is also a full audio player, with a complete database, an equalizer and filters, playing all weird audio formats.
VLC is intended for everyone, is totally free, has no ads, no in-app-purchases, no spying and is developed by passionate volunteers. All the source code is available for free.
VLC for Android™ plays most local video and audio files, as well as network streams (including adaptive streaming), DVD ISOs, like the desktop version of VLC.
All formats are supported, including MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, Ogg, FLAC, TS, M2TS, Wv and AAC. All codecs are included with no separate downloads.
VLC for Android has a media library for audio and video files, and allows to browse folders directly.
VLC has support for multi-track audio and subtitles. It supports auto-rotation, aspect-ratio adjustments and gestures to control volume, brightness and seeking.
It also includes a widget for audio control, supports audio headsets control, cover art and a complete audio media library.
This version is for all devices except ARMv6 devices. They will be supported in a future release.
VLC for Android needs access to :
• "Device & app History" to be able to read logs, to help understand crashes and issues, so we can improve VLC.
• "Photos/Media/Files" to read your all media files :)
• "Device ID & call information" in order to pause music/video during incoming and outgoing phone calls.
• "Other" to check network connections and hide the streaming parts when needed.
Permission Details :
• It needs "read phone status an identity", in order to pause music during outgoing and incoming calls.
• It needs "read the contents of your USB storage", in to order to read your media files on it.
• It needs "modify or delete the contents of your USB storage", in order to allow deletion of files.
• It needs "full network access", to open network and internet streams.
• It needs "control vibration", in order to provide UI feedback when seeking in the video and audio players.
• It needs "prevent phone from sleeping" in order to prevent... your phone from sleeping when watching a video.
• It needs "change your audio settings", in order to change audio volume.
• It needs "modify system settings", in order to allow you to change your audio ringtone.
• It needs "view network connections" in order to monitor whether device is connected or not, to hide the streaming parts.
- For Android TV app only:
• It needs "record audio " for audio search using your microphone.
• It needs "to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting" to set recommendations on Android TV launcher screen.
This release comes in several variants (we currently have 2). Consult our handy FAQ to see which download is right for you.
These require Android TV and can not be installed on your phone or tablet.
Uploaded:October 7, 2015 at 7:05PM UTC
File size:12.58 MB
Version:3.5.0 RC 1
Uploaded:June 22, 2022 at 7:44AM UTC
File size:33.41 MB
Uploaded:December 11, 2015 at 7:13PM UTC
File size:14.28 MB
Uploaded:October 8, 2015 at 7:57PM UTC
File size:13.24 MB
Uploaded:May 22, 2015 at 6:37PM UTC
File size:13.74 MB